Following requirements in MAP–21 legislation, FTA develops safety certification training for FTA and state agency personnel who conduct safety audits and examinations of public transportation systems as well as transit agency personnel responsible for safety oversight.
Public Transportation Safety Certification Training Program - Interim Provisions
Safety certification training program individual training plans are directed toward FTA personnel, State Safety Oversight Agencies, and rail transit agencies (see applicability below) and are divided into minimum training requirements based on job category. Contact Dakisha Spratling or Rhoderick Ramsey to request an Individual Training Plan (ITP). Participants in the Safety Certification Training Program have three years to complete the requirements in their ITP.
- FTA personnel and contractors who conduct safety audit and examinations of public transportation systems.
- SSOA personnel and contractors who conduct safety audits and examinations of rail fixed guideway public transportation systems not subject to FRA.
- Designated employees of recipients with rail transit systems subject to 49 CFR Part 659 who are directly responsible for safety oversight.
- Voluntarily participants
- Personnel employed by recipients of federal transit funds who are directly responsible for safety oversight of non-rail transit systems (e.g., passenger ferry, bus, bus rapid transit, and community transportation providers).
- Personnel of State DOTs or other state entities that receive federal transit funds, who are directly responsible for safety oversight of non-rail transit systems such as passenger ferry, bus, bus rapid transit, and community transportation providers.
2017/2018 FTA-Sponsored Training Courses
Safety Management Systems
FTA’s Safety Management Systems (SMS) Awareness Course and FTA’s Rail Nomenclature course are available on the TSI’s Learning Management System. Contact Dakisha Spratling or Rhoderick Ramsey with questions.