Public Transportation Safety Certification Training Program
The Public Transportation Safety Certification Training Program Final Rule (Training Rule) establishes a uniform curriculum for safety training that consists of minimum requirements to enhance the technical proficiency of rail transit safety personnel. It replaces interim requirements in effect since May 2015. The final rule becomes effective August 20, 2018.
The new rule (49 C.F.R. Part 672) implements FTA’s statutory requirements at 49 U.S.C. § 5329(c). The Training Rule sets forth federal requirements for the certification and training of State Safety Oversight Agency (SSOA) personnel and contractors who conduct safety audits and examinations of rail transit systems, and rail transit agency personnel and contractors who are directly responsible for safety oversight.
The Training Rule replaces the Interim Safety Certification Training Program Provisions that became effective May 28, 2015. FTA encourages other safety personnel, including bus safety personnel, to voluntarily participate in the safety certification training program.
Safety Rule Overview Webinars
FTA Final Safety Rules Overview Webinar 1: 2 p.m. ET Wednesday, July 25
FTA Final Safety Rules Overview Webinar 2: 2 p.m. ET Tuesday, July 31
Training Rule Webinars
Training Rule Webinar 1: 2 p.m. ET Thursday, August 2
Training Rule Webinar 2: 2 p.m. ET Thursday, August 16
Training Rule Webinar 3: 2 p.m. ET Tuesday, September 18
Recipients of federal financial assistance (49 U.S.C. Chapter 53):
- State Safety Oversight Agency personnel and contractors who have been designated to conduct safety audits and examinations of rail transit systems
- Rail transit agency personnel and contractors who have been designated as directly responsible for the safety oversight
How do I enroll into the Training Program and obtain an Individual Training Plan (ITP)*?
- Email your request to enroll in the Training Program and receive an ITP
- Include the following information in your email:
- The agency you work for
- Your role within that agency
- Your phone number
*The Individual Training Plan specifies the minimum training requirements an individual must complete in order to satisfy the Public Transportation Safety Certification Training Program requirements.
All Required Participants (Appendix A)
- SMS Awareness (One-hour course; e-learning delivery)
- SMS Safety Assurance (Two-hour course; e-learning delivery)
- SMS Principles for Transit (20 hours)
- TSSP curriculum (minus Transit System Security (TSS) (Course credit will be provided if a participant has a Course Completion Certificate for TSSP courses prior to enrolling in the Training Program)
- Transit Rail System Safety (36 hours)
- Effectively Managing Transit Emergencies (32 hours)
- Transit Rail Incident Investigation (36 hours)
SSOA personnel/SSOA contractor support personnel
- SMS for SSO Programs (16 hours)
Bus personnel (Voluntary)
- SMS Awareness (Online course)
- Safety Assurance (e-Learning course)
- SMS Principles for Transit
- Effectively Managing Transit Emergencies
- Transit Bus System Safety
- Fundamentals of Bus Collision Investigation
Registering for Courses
Register for courses through the FTA-sponsored USDOT Transportation Safety Institute (TSI).
- Contact TSI or call (405) 954-3682 for registration assistance and course information.
To create an account:
- Go to the USDOT Transportation Safety Institute website
- Select the link “Bus/Rail Transit Safety and Security." This link is located under the “Select your training topic to view course catalog or create a profile” heading in the gray box on the right side of the page.
- Scroll down to the box titled “Welcome to Transit ”Select the “sign up for account” link. (Or, select the wheel in the top right corner and click “register”)
- Complete the required fields and click “Log In” at the bottom of the page
To register for classes:
- Log in with your email or username and password
- Select “Search Catalog” to search for specific courses, dates, and locations
- Click “Request” to request a seat in the class
Once you are logged into your account, you can update your profile, view your transcript, (your course enrollment schedule and courses you have completed).
To request credit for an equivalent course:
- Download the equivalency credit form for official evaluation of non-FTA course completed
- Email the completed form and required supporting documents to FTASafetyPromotion@dot.gov
- Allow 60 days for review and response by FTA